Friday, February 27, 2015

I think, spring

Dearest girl,

With this week's snow and ice, I think the back of winter has broken.  Today gives us sunshine and temperatures near forty degrees.  The weather forecast for next week is wet but mild.  We're going to have days in the fifties.  Though not warm, per se, this is "turning" weather... where we put winter behind us and begin the upward climb through the wet, blossomy months of spring.

And I've been reminiscing, looking back through photos of you from last year, remembering viscerally when the weather turned last year and you and I could walk in the sunshine and take hikes on the weekends, when law school was in its last weeks, when you were emerging into full babyhood, sleeping better, smiling.  As I looked through these photos, I was surprised at the physicality of my reaction.  I'd like to share that with you.

March 10: This day was so beautiful, so warm; it was the first time I let you out without your socks on.
March 15: Your two-month birthday.  We took you to Weaver Street Market, in Carrboro, and spent the afternoon strolling down Franklin Street.
April 5: This day gave me hope.  You still were not sleeping well, but this day you were so happy and napped in the ergo as we went to the mall and had lunch at Toast, in Durham.
April 21: I remember this day because before I tried on all your fun beachwear, you and I went hiking with Maria, at our favorite nature preserve.
April 25: Your first trip to a bar!  You slept through the night for the first time.
May the Fourth be with you!  I was finished with law school and numb with relief.  The three of us went hiking and had lunch at Motorco.  It was such a beautiful day.
May 6: I remember being so, unutterably happy this week.  You had magically started sleeping through the night, and I was finished with law school and could spend every day with you.  We took daily walks down to the lake and laid on a blanket.
May 22: Our last week in Durham.  We were so pleased with each other.  The weather was so beautiful.
I am yearning, yearning for those long, warm days again, when we can spend hours outside, lingering in a park or eating great food somewhere nice.  Although I will deeply miss not being able to spend this spring at our old favorite haunts in Durham and Chapel Hill, I imagine we'll be able to find our places here, too. 

I can't wait to see you run through spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment